Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ode to Appliances

I must say how grateful I am to modern day appliances. My weekend scratch-fest would have been a much slower process without their assistance. I used a bread maker (purchased for $3 at Goodwill), crockpot, iced tea maker, coffee maker, oven/stove, and of course the fridge to store it all. Additionally, the washer/dryer came into the mix as they were going while some of the other appliances were running. Multi-tasking at its finest. Hummm - I wonder what my load on the grid was?

2 comments:

  1. Tawny,
    I don't know - maybe you have already addressed this - I think you should include the value of your time in preparing stuff from scratch. That may be incidental for you since the bigger objective is controlling the quality of the foods you and your family eat. If you figure your time is worth $50/hour (at least!) then two hours spent (shopping and prep) whipping up a batch of yogurt doesn't make it seem like such a bargain. Maybe the net time investment is more like 15 minutes. I guess it's all about opportunity cost: What else would you be doing with that time if you weren't making something from scratch?
    Always the grinch,
    U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose one of the reasons I love to cook from scratch is just that - I love to cook from scratch! It is my hobby. This is always how I have cooked - well not making yogurt per se - but cooking from scratch for the most part. I made homemade ricotta cheese a few years ago and determined for my time - it wasn't worth it. Much more involved than yogurt, and I wasted the leftover whey. I would guess if I weren't making yogurt - I would be making something else!

    ReplyDelete