Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Weekend of Scratch

I decided to keep track of how many things I made from scratch or used that I had previously made from scratch for the weekend. Turned out to be quite a list! I also took a few moments while at Safeway to price out what some of these items would have cost if purchased in the conventional manner.













From Scratch
1. Whole wheat bread
2. Bread mix (3)
3. Plain yogurt (3 24 oz. containers)
4. Yogurt topping (wheat germ, flax, psyllium husk, cinnamon)
5. Applesauce
6. Teething biscuits (32)
7. Baby food - carrots
8. Chocolate zucchini cupcakes with peanut butter frosting (24)
9. Chicken broth (24 oz.)
10. Burritos
11. Asian chicken salad with vinaigrette
12. Potato, beef, and carrot stew
13. Maple-flavored syrup
14. Window washing solution
15. Tub scrub (similar to Soft Scrub)
16. Coffee
17. Iced Tea
From Store
1. Oroweat Whole Grain & Flax (100% whole wheat) = $4.29
2. Krustez Cracked Wheat (not whole wheat) = $3.99 X 3 = $11.97
3. Plain yogurt = $2.99 (on sale), $3.59 (regular price)/32 oz.
4. Applesauce (generic, unsweetened) = $3.29 (sale), $3.79 (regular price)/47 oz.
5. Teething biscuits = $2.50 (sale), $3.49 (sale)/ 12 biscuits
6. Cupcakes with frosting = $5.99/12 cupcakes
7. Chicken broth (generic, reduced sodium in can) = $1.29/14 oz.
8. Window washing solution = $2.50 (sale), $2.99 (regular price)/32 oz.
*"green" window washing solution $3.00 (sale), $3.79 (regular price)/32 oz.
9. Iced Tea = $2.99/gal.

While I didn't take the time to price out every single ingredient and the amount used in the items made from scratch, it is fairly obvious to see not only the savings, but also how much healthier items are when you are in control of the ingredients (and not spending your "food dollar" on packaging and marketing). All of the items made were quick and simple, with very few ingredients. Let me know what recipes you would like to try!

The proof is in the dishes!

3 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the dishes! I'm always rewarding myself to see how much higher I can stack my jenga of dishes in my dish drainer. Can I have the recipes for #1-8? :-)
    Kidding! Start me off with the cup cakes and the window washing solution. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that making things from scratch is so much healthier! I love when my meals have 3-6 ingredients, and no chemicals! Of course, you beat me in the scratch department for sure! Great creative resourcefulness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Steph - I think you win! I only make food (and some cleaning products)from scrath - you make everything - even clothes!

    ReplyDelete