Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tzatziki Sauce

It all started when I was craving a veggie pita from one of our local eateries - only to find they had gone out of business. What to do? I perused multiple cookbooks and websites to come up with a general recipe - and started tinkering. A little more lemon juice, a little less salt - and the end result? A pretty tasty sauce that has now become a staple of my summer menu! I recommend using Greek yogurt for a thicker sauce with better flavor. However, you can use plain yogurt (full fat or fat free if you are looking to save a few calories) and simply strain it for at least 8 hours using cheese cloth. (Cheese cloth is readily available and can be used over and over.) I lined a plastic container with two layers of cloth, put it in the fridge before leaving for work, and by the time I came home - it was ready. I grill up (well - my grill master husband grills up) a big batch of veggies - eggplant, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, asparagus. The more the better, and it is never the same twice. Of course - veggies from the backyard (or friends' backyards) are the best. Ahh - the best part - putting it all together! A whole wheat pita, spread on the tzatziki, pile on the veggies, top with toasted sesame seeds. YUM!

*WARNING: this may result in dragon breath depending on the amount of garlic used. I apologize in advance to my cubicle mates.
Tzatziki Sauce

1 cup (8 oz.) plain yogurt (Greek or regular)
1 cucumber, peeled and finely diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice OR 1/2 lemon, juiced (fresh is ALWAYS better)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (can substitute dried - see note above)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients and enjoy! Keep refrigerated

No comments:

Post a Comment